(605 metres above sea level)
Montepulciano is a city of Etruscan and Roman origins, as confirmed by archaeological finds dating back to the III and II century B.C.
It reached the actual dimension at the end of the XIII century, but it was during the 1400’s and 1500’s that Montepulciano underwent an important trasformation that lead to its enrichment with numerous Renaissance buildings.
The city is also known for its celebrated Vino Nobile, which is created by the blending of three different grapes: prugnolo gentile, canaiolo e mammolo.
Among the main buildings are: the church of San Biagio, located about 1,5 km from the town centre, work of Antonio da Sangallo il Vecchio; the Cathedral, in Piazza Grande, started at the and of the 1500’s and completed in the 1680 (the facade is unfinished however); the Town Hall, probably constructed under the auspices of Michelozzo in the first half of the 15th century. It is reminiscent in form to the Palazzo della Signoria in Florence and from its tower you can enjoy a wonderful panorama of both the Chiana and the Orcia valleys. The Fortress in Montepulciano, built in 1261, is situated at a short distance from Piazza Grande.